A 2-day hack event to ignite the gigabit experience.
Gigabit networks are coming to a city near you! Join us for a weekend of futuristic fun and a chance to build the gigabit apps of tomorrow.
You’ll have the opportunity to team up with talented startups & tech companies, developers & designers, students & entrepreneurs, thinkers & doers -> Check our prospective projects here.
We’ll hack with 4 gigabit communities across the country and connect over BBQ & broadband, telepresence robots & video wormholes, remote music jam sessions & much more.
Finally, you’ll get to advance apps for entertainment, education, telemedicine, and more. Experts & resources from US Ignite, Mozilla, and Orange will help turn your gigabit ideas into reality. Come hack with us!
DO NOT MISS:
COMMUNITY CALL – EVERY Tuesday / Thursday @ Noon Pacific
Learn more and meet other hackers in advance by joining Will and the team on a community call at noon Pacific on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from now until the event: 703 865 3771; Participant code: 779146.
MACHINE LEARNING WORKSHOP - MAY 1st at 4PM
This workshop will give an overview of open-source machine learning tools that operate on large datasets. You’ll learn just enough about the math behind these algorithms to effectively use them without drowning in a sea of equations.
Startup.ML provides the next generation of data scientists the chance to hone their skills by building machine learning systems for startups and established data science teams. We'll share some of the techniques from our fellowship program during this brief workshop.
- 4PM to 6PM - Warm up: Getting started with Machine Learning - Workshop featuring Startup.ML
- 6PM to 7PM - Registration
- 7PM to 7:30PM - Welcome session
- 7:30PM to 9PM - Project pitches, team creation. Drinks & Dinner
- 9PM - Hacking begins
- 9AM to 4PM - Hacking continues. Breakfast & Lunch
- 4PM to 5PM - Sync up with other cities
- 5PM - Hacking continues. Dinner
- 9AM to 12PM - Hacking continues. Breakfast
- 12PM - All projects are submitted on ChallengePost
- 12PM to 1PM - Authentic Kansas City BBQ from Jack Stack
- 1PM to 2PM - Demos across the US
- 2:00PM to 3:30PM - Demos in SF & judging
- 3:30PM to 3:45PM - Thank you and time to go home!
Swag, breakfast, lunch and dinner should be provided to all hackers while stocks last.
Best low-latency experience
Most immersive experience
Most potential for impact on society
Most innovative application
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
GigHacks is open to everyone!
Developers, designers, dreamers & doers who want to advance their applications with gigabit networks
Please write a little phrase about what your are looking for when you sign up so it's easier for everyone to find a cool team to hack.
We will be contacting all the participants in advance so they can team up and start working prior to the event. We will also update the list of resources that will be available on the D-Day!
Our hackathon is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, previous hackday attendance or computing experience (or lack of any of the aforementioned). We do not tolerate harassment of hackathon participants in any form.
The organizer reserves the right to limit attendance and/or deny access to its facilities at its discretion.
Create and tell the story of an application that empowers people with some features of gigabit networks:
- Abundant bandwidth = immersive experiences
- Low-latency = blink-of-an-eye responsive
- Symmetry (upload/download) = enabling sharing & creating as well as consuming
- High Quality of Service = always-on reliable
How to enter
- Click “Register” to access the submission form and start your draft early.
- Create a working app that meets the requirements above, or update an existing app.
- Create a demonstration video and take some screenshots of your app.
- Provide a way for us to access your app for testing.
Miguel A. Gamiño Jr
CIO / City of San Francisco
Director of Marketing / Google Fiber
Managing Partner / Zetta Venture Partners
Reporter / PandoDaily
VP Technology Development / Orange Silicon Valley
How will this application benefit people and society?
How strong is the intellectual merit of the idea? How innovative is the use of next-gen technologies?
How compelling is the story for users?